From Broome County Special Investigations Unit Task Force:
On March 21, 2013, following a one-month long investigation, members of the Broome County Special Investigations Unit Task Force, arrested Binghamton University student Anthony D. Hilmi, following a traffic stop on the city’s north side, and a subsequent search warrant of Hilmi’s off-campus room at the non-recognized Zeta Beta Tau (ZBT) fraternity house located at 196 State Street, Binghamton, NY.
Hilmi, listed as a commuting Junior at Binghamton University, was found to be in possession of more than a quarter-kilo (9.1 ounces) of suspected powder cocaine in his vehicle. The cocaine has an estimated average street value of $25,800. Hilmi was traveling back to Binghamton from New York City when stopped by police.
Inside Hilmi’s room at ZBT, Investigators located an additional 2.8 grams of suspected powder Ecstasy, 3.7 grams of suspected hallucinogen mushrooms, 205.5 grams of suspected marijuana, 4 Ambien pills, 3 bottles and two bags of pills containing suspected steroids, two brass knuckles, an unloaded H&R 12-gauge shotgun, a digital scale, a bottle of Inositol powder (a “cutting” agent for cocaine), and $3,890 in U.S. currency.
Police also seized Hilmi’s 1993 Mercedes-Benz sedan.
Hilmi was arraigned in City of Binghamton Court and remanded to the custody of the Broome County Sheriff’s Office Correctional Facility.
- One (1) count of Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the First Degree, a class “A-I” felony.
- One (1) count of Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Third Degree, a class “B” felony.
- Four (4) counts of Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance in the Seventh Degree, class “A” misdemeanors.
- Two (2) counts Criminal Possession of a Weapon 4th Degree, class “A” misdemeanors.
- One (1) count of Criminally Using Drug Paraphernalia in the Second degree, a class “A” misdemeanor.
- One (1) count Criminal Possession of Marijuana in the Fourth Degree, a class “A” misdemeanor.
*Additional charges may be levied against Hilmi pending test results of other seized substances submitted to the New York State Crime lab.